Saturday, August 29, 2009

RIP Jorge Reyes; Thanks Matthew Burtner

It came to my attention while preparing this week's playlist that the Mexican musician Jorge Reyes died February 7, 2009, of a heart attack while working at his studio in Mexico City. He was 57. I'm a little embarrassed his passing slipped under my radar for over six months. I discovered Reyes' music in the late '90s when MG was focused more on "ambient" music. Reyes frequently collaborated with such ambient titans as Steve Roach and Robert Rich. I was intrigued with Reyes' fusion of indigenous Mesoamerican music with electronic ambient sounds. Reyes was not afraid to reach for any source of sound and incorporate it into his music. The selection included on the 8/30/09 MG, "El Huarachito" employs flower pots and metallic objects in the mix. Here is a clip of a stage production of Jorge Reyes for his Pre-Columbian style piece "Sacrificio."



I would like to thank Matthew Burtner, Assistant Professor of Composition and Computer Music Associate Director, VCCM, for sending us his latest projects, including the MICE World Tour CD and the "Signal Ruins" DVD. "Sandprints" by MICE (Mobile Interactive Computer Ensemble) is scheduled for this week's program. I'll also prepare some excerpts from the audio portion of his DVD for next week. Here is a little more about Dr. Burtner and his musical MICE:

No comments: